Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Trinity

I had hoped to write more about Paris this morning. But alas, I am hanging over. I hosted a small dinner party last night. I cooked Indian food. The smell of the spices lingers in the air even now; turmeric and cardamom, ginger and garlic, clove and cinnamon. I made Masoor Dal (green lentils), Potato and Carrot Korma, Chick Pea Curry and Basmati Rice. One of my guests is Vegan so for my Raita, the dish that cools the palate and is traditionally made with yogurt, I used Soy yogurt. Bleck (she said, sticking her tongue out slightly).

My guests brought the beer. Too much beer. I had three. Three. Three Sierra Nevada Pale Ales. And I am hanging over, which is why I am playing Yo-Yo Ma's beautiful, soothing Bach cello pieces. I am such a lightweight with beer. I can drink vodka and tequila like a man, but beer knocks me on my a**. A fine thing for a bar owner's daughter. I ought to be ashamed.

I had a lovely time. We talked and laughed and listened to wonderful music for hours. There was one mishap. As I rose from my sofa my heel got caught on a sharp edge of wood at which time I began to bleed profusely from my Achilles' tendon. A reminder from the gods perhaps, of my weaknesses in consuming the products of John Barleycorn.  My guests didn't know Joni Mitchell, so I considered it my obligation to introduce them. Sierra Nevada Pale Ales and Blue. A heady combination to be sure. Chick Pea Curry and Joni's twelve string steel guitar on For the Roses. Bliss. Life is good.

But not this morning.

I have already begun to partake of what I call "The Holy Hangover Trinity." Water, The Creator. Ibuprofen, The Redeemer. And Coffee, The Sanctifier.

Blessed be their Names.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh wow! you cook indian food! I was raised on indian food (large indian population in England where I was born and raised). I could smell it as I read.Our neigbours were  from india and whenever i would play outside we would smell them cooking- I'm not sure if she cooked all day everyday or if the fragrance of the spices just lingered...
..I have my mothers old indian cook books but our budget hasn't yet allowed for me to purchase the lengthy list of ingredients needed for a meal. We do go to the indian retaurant on occasion. I must admit I am almost always sick afterwards because it seems i have absolutley no discipline in restraining myself with this fantastic food. It starts with the naan and the samosas and pakoras for the begginning of the meal and then I will order vegetable biriyani or something of the like and eat the entire thing with the rice and a kingfisher beer.and the meal will end with golab jamin (sp?) those fried cheese balls in syrup.oh it is so wonderful.