Thursday, August 3, 2006

Little Sneakers

There was a time your little feet

wore sneakers, red or blue.

They helped you run and ride your bike.

So fast you almost flew!

 

But then you'd fall, I'd kiss your knee,

Sometimes there'd be a scar.

I couldn't help how fast you'd go,

But only just how far.

 

Farther and farther, you'd venture forth,

Fearless as Athena were you!

But though Athena  wore HER helmet,

I couldn't get you to.

 

Wear your hat! Wear your helmet!

No season left you free.

In winter to shield you from the cold,

In summer, from the tree.

 

You grew as fast as you could run,

A little girl no more.

You went to school so far away,

Much farther than before.

 

Red sneakers still upon you feet,

And still, your favorite ones

Four years gone by, so quickly passed,

How lovely you've become.

 

With secret pride and mother's joy,

I'll watch you cross that stage.

I'll wonder where the time has gone

and marvel at your age.

 

A little smile I'll also wear,

As you pick up your degree,

For on your head, despite yourself,

A little cap there'll be!

 

(written on the occasion of my daughter's college graduation)

No comments: