Sunday, September 6, 2009

I'm Always Talkin,' Chicken Squawkin' (Joni)


This week I participated in a public panel discussion on ‘women and religion.’ And in the course of an hour and a half, I pretty much said that I have absolutely no interest in ‘redeeming’ the Bible or Christianity, that I have become uninterested in religious questions of ‘truth’ and that Christianity, through its sacraments and priests has co-opted women’s biological functions and further, that priests ‘even wear dresses.’ I am sure that I scandalized some members of the audience.

This is what happens when one has been studying and reflecting upon such issues for years and years. In the course of five minute responses, what are expressed are the personal conclusions drawn from those years. Without introduction or foundational explanations, these conclusions come out of one’s mouth like perfunctory sound bites. And mine ‘have teeth.’

The issue of ‘truth’ came about when in response to a question about what I think is the greatest obstacle to women’s equality, I said fundamentalism and gave an explanation of why I thought so. I said that it begins with claims to sole possession of truth. When those claims are made the tendency is to view all those who think ‘like me’ as GOOD and all those who don’t as EVIL. This dualistic perspective radicalizes difference in such a way that commonalities get lost and traditional (read also: patriarchal) values become more entrenched. These become dearer and are embraced more fiercely. And if, in that schema, one finds oneself on the bottom of the totem pole of social status, THAT difference too becomes exacerbated. (Admittedly, this is a very brief summary of a very complex dynamic—another ‘sound bite’ in written form?).

A question came from the audience, “How then do we examine, determine, and make judgments about truth?” I responded that personally, I have become uninterested in questions of ‘truth.’ Is this true? Is the Bible true? Is that truth truer than this truth? I have abandoned the question, ‘What is true?’ (A question which frankly, will drive you a little nuts anyway) in deference to the question, ‘What is just?’

Another panelist responded, “Well, you know…truth and justice are both ‘fictive’ terms.” Fictive? That’s right. He meant ‘subjective, relative, fictional.’ I have to admit that when it comes to faith claims, I would not venture to advance any definitive ‘truths.’ But if claims to justice are also all relative and fictional, then the result is ethical paralysis. I would have said this, if the panel had not moved along so quickly that I didn’t have a chance. I would have said that there is a difference between cultural morality and ethical rationality. I would have said that when it comes to justice, I think we can make some claims. I think we can say that slavery is unjust. I think we can say that trafficking in women’s bodies is unjust. I think we can say that locking a new bride inside her house and then setting that house on fire is unjust. Are these mere fictives? Are there no ethical certainties or claims that we can make definitively? If not, then I quit. I quit teaching. I quit writing. I quit speaking. I quit getting out of bed in the morning.

I assured the audience that I have no interest in salvaging ‘the Tradition” in response to another member of the panel who said (something like), ‘the problem is that nobody wants to leave.” At which point I wanted to shout, “I did! I did!” He continued to say (something like), that no one wants to abandon the Bible, the ritual, the Tradition and so they scurry around trying to change the language, create a more friendly interpretation, etc., and all they end up doing is running around in circles. They are circular attempts and never end up any other place than where they started. This is when I said, “I assure you all that I have absolutely NO interest in redeeming the Text, the ritual, the Church or the Tradition. I engage in these dialogues (and in my teaching) with cultural and political concerns, in the interest of liberation. And when a student comes to my office and says to me, ‘I just want you to know that I broke up with my boyfriend last night. Because of your course I realized that he abuses me.’ THAT is not circular. THAT does not leave us in the same place. THAT is moving forward.’

It was the first and only time of the night that the audience erupted with a spattering of spontaneous applause.

I was not about to let someone tell me that the last 20 years of my life have been spent chasing my own tail. If what I do makes NO difference then, I quit. I quit teaching. I quit writing. I quit speaking. I quit getting out of bed in the morning.

No comments: